September 18, 2011

Dear Character: Why do you have to die?

This seems to have been a popular topic going around lately. But, in saying that, it only really caught my attention while I was attending a panel with authors Kirsten Tranter, Shamini Flint and Georgia Richter at the Big Sky Festival last weekend “Choose your genre: crime, mystery, thriller or literary fiction?”

Obviously in these types of genres someone always ends up dead, right? It wouldn’t be much of a story without it.

Shamini Flint, author of the Investigator Singh series said that for her “Death is just a catalyst.” Huh, really? Is that how every writer thinks when wiping one of their characters of the grid? Shamini also pointed out that the death of a character in her novels had to happen so the Inspector could begin to ask questions and get the people talking about the ‘real’ issues that she wanted to talk about. “If I write a book to talk about issues such as terrorism or law no one will listen to what I have to say.” She’d said.
Ah, yes, but write it as a crime novel and you have everyone’s attention. And when you really think about it, doesn’t every book, to some degree have an underlying message the writer is trying to put forward to the reader to contemplate.

Personally, I haven’t killed any of my characters off yet, but I know at some point someone will die. Unfortunately for them it’s inevitable and, necessary to the story. After all, that’s life. People die all the time in the real world. Why should it be any different in a fictional world? Nothing is ever perfect.

Honestly, I’m dreading the moment I have to sit down and write that crucial scene.  

Let me ask you this:
What does it mean for you to kill off one of your characters?

2 comments:

  1. Last time I did it, I cried half the night. She was one of my favorite characters in the whole book but historical facts dictated her death. I couldn't even make it fast and painless due to my research -- sometimes it sucks.

    The time before that, the character surprised me by sacrificing himself. I should have seen it coming (after all I set him up that way) but it still took me by surprise. I cried too but not as much as last time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cat I love the characters that can still surprise us.

    Hm, I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm going to turn into come crazed weeping mess when I do eventually write the death scene.

    ReplyDelete